VIBErations podcast Ep 31. Adrian Brown at VIBE Book & Music Shop in Mui Wo on Lantau Island in HK on 21st July 2021
VIBErations podcasts are also available on YouTube, Spotify, PodBean, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music/Audible, TuneIn + Alexa, Listen Notes, Sticher and PlayerFM
With over 40 years in the industry, Adrian Brown is considered one of the industry’s most experienced Asia correspondents. He has reported extensively on topics ranging from war, revolution and political turmoil to natural disasters to economic shifts and its social consequences, among many others.
While he has reported globally, his area of expertise is Asia – its people, politics, economies and development.
Via the Seven Network Australia, SBS Australia and most recently Al Jazeera English and Sky News Australia, Adrian has covered many of the defining moments in recent Asian history.
Some Asian story examples include the 1988 election of Benazir Bhutto – and her assassination 20 years later – as well as the 1989 student protests in Beijing, the transition to democracy in Indonesia, Cambodia, and East Timor as well as its restoration in the Philippines.
Internationally, Adrian has also reported on key stories such as the 2005 London bombings, the Olympic Games in Greece, the Bali bombings, the Asian tsunami and its aftermath, the 1991 Gulf War, the 2005 Iraqi elections, the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi, the Kobe earthquake, the 2006 Israeli-Hezbollah conflict, the funeral of Yasser Arafat, and the 1996 Presidential elections in Taiwan.
Winning multiple awards over the years, one of his commendations comes from the 14th Annual Human Rights Press Awards in Hong Kong, for his 2009 story Kidnapped! about child trafficking in China.
1. Favourite book or author? – Eric Ambler
2. Favourite musical artist? – David Bowie
3. Preferred drink? – Vodka Martini
4. Life motto? – ‘Lay Low, act dumb, keep moving’ Lee Atwater
5. Favourite HK walk? – The Catchwater above Pui O on Lantau
6. Favourite HK restaurant? – Hooked Fish & Chip shop, Caine Road
7. Faced with a python whilst walking up to the Peak, what would you do? – Take a video then beat hasty retreat
8. Best advice you were given? – Take a risk but know when to cut your losses
9. Finish this sentence… I live in Hong Kong because… no day will ever be a dull one
10. Favourite area of Hong Kong? – Sai Ying Pun